Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Owner Building a Home - Day 44 - Soffits, Fascia and More Shingles

I am surprised that after however many days of shingling, Jason continues to work diligently at it without any complaining.  If I was doing it that long, I may have reached the "I'm-so-ready-for-something-else-stage" at this point but then again, you never know!  Sometimes it is so nice to see immediate progress and shingling is just that!


While Jay continued to shingle today, Mr.W and I worked on the gable ends of the roof where we had to shingle just a little and then install the soffits and fascia.  If you want a step-by-step process, you won't get it here.   It involves some drip edge and shingles and house wrap and flashing and J-channel and soffits and fascia.  And then you do it all over again on the other side. Mr.W walked me through each step on one end of the house and then let me do the other end of the house mostly by myself, assisting as necessary.  When I was working on that end, the funniest moment of the day occurred.  I was done with the shingles and announced to Mr.W, "It is now time for the flashing!".  He looked at me, tried not to smile, and said, "No, it is now time to install the flashing."  Oh, I laughed and laughed.  Jay, however, told me I can tell him that anytime I want!




Anyway, with Jay's hard work, all the shingles that we are installing at this point on the main roof are complete! 


Tomorrow we tackle the siding on the gable ends and then move onto the bonus room above the garage.  That requires quite a bit of work yet before it is done but since tomorrow is only Wednesday, we should be in good shape for Monday's 8am deadline.

2 comments:

  1. After you posted on Ana White's Momplex blog, I came over here to your blog. Starting from Day 1, it was fascinating to watch your new home grow. Thanks for sharing! If I was 30 years younger, I would be right there with you. :) Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you stopped by! It has been quite the adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails