Sunday, September 20, 2009

Almost Family

For the past year, we have spent every third Sunday with a very special group of people - our care group. Some people refer to these types of groups as small groups but I like care group better. Why? It epitimizes the reason we get together. Because we care. Our group consists of 12 adults and 12 children (age 6 and under). This past year we would get together for a potluck supper then the adults would sit around and talk while the kids ran wild! It was great for everyone involved, especially the kids. Tonight we met just as adults to discuss plans for the future. Do we want to keep getting together? Do we like this thing called "care group"? The answer is a resounding "YES"! These are some of the most important people in my life, people that understand who I am and love me anyway. People who can make me laugh or make me cry. People who love my children. People who push me in my faith journey. Or my parenting journey. Or in my marriage. People that are more than just people - they are my friends. They are my 'almost family'! They are the biggest reason we still attend the church we do. They give me something to look forward to. They give me a reason to open up and share. This next year we will meet as adults every other care group Sunday and I am SO EXCITED! I love my kids, I love their kids but sometimes with all those little ones running around, it is hard for us adults to dig deeper. Find out what is really happening. This year that can change. We will be just the 12 of us - 6 couples. Couples that hopefully can talk about anything and everything. Couples that will pick you up when you are down, give you a hug if that is what you need. Couples that will cause your walk with the Lord to be richer, more significant. Couples that will hold your marriage to a higher standard, expect more from you while loving you on the journey. I am so blessed to have these friends in my life. I hope you have friends in your life that are able to be that source of encouragement, that place of laughter and honesty, those arms that will accept you, no matter what! Friends that are your 'almost family'!

1 comment:

  1. My sentiments exactly!
    Thanks for articulating it so well.
    I am delighted once again to see what this year will hold :).....
    Thanks for being a part of that journey.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails